Search This Blog

Monday, April 29, 2019

The Women's Prize For Fiction 2019 Shortlist



The Women's Prize For Fiction 2019 Shortlist is out, and these are the six books that have made the cut:
The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker.
My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite.
Milkman by Anna Burns.
Ordinary People by Diana Evans.
Circe by Madeleine Miller.
American Marriage by Tayari Jones.

There has been a lot of debate on social media, since the Shortlist was announced at midnight last night, about the books that have made this list - and the ones that have not.
I must admit that I am surprised that Normal People by Sally Rooney has not made the Shortlist, even though I found it pretty frustrating when I read it.

I have read, and reviewed on this blog, three of these already - Circe; Normal People; and My Sister, the Serial Killer. Circe has definitely been my favourite so far, and I suspect this may by the overall winner this year.

Reviews here:
https://brownflopsy.blogspot.com/2019/03/circe-by-madeline-miller.html
https://brownflopsy.blogspot.com/search?q=normal+people
https://brownflopsy.blogspot.com/2019/03/my-sister-serial-killer.html


I am currently listening to Milkman as an audio book, which I am really enjoying. For anyone who has struggled with this book, I highly recommend the audio book, because it adds an extra dimension when it is narrated by someone with a Northern Irish accent.

I have just ordered a copy of American Marriage, because this is the only one on the shortlist that I do not have, and I will be interested to see why the judges chose this one.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment