Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Breakfast At Tiffany's by Truman Capote



Read August 2018.

This is the story of the socialite traveller, Holly Golightly, immortalised by Audrey Hepburn in the film of the same name.

I have been meaning to read this book for many years, as the cutesy Hollywood version of this tale has never rung true with everything I have heard about Truman Capote, and now I know why.

Capote's Holly Golightly is a true free spirit and is certainly not waiting to be rescued by a man.
She is more gritty and real and goes her own way. This Holly's happy ending is very different from the Hollywood version and I find it difficult to imagine Audrey Hepburn as the Holly in the book.

I think it is best to keep the two Hollys completely separate. Stick with the Audrey Hepburn version if you like the romantic Hollywood stuff, and go for the book version is you like gritty realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment