Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2019

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman



Read March 2019. Non-fiction.

Having recently read Stephen Fry's Mythos, about the Greek myths, I was very interested to read Neil Gaiman's take on Norse mythology.

I confess to having known very little of the Norse tales, other than picking up a bit about Odin and his sons Thor and Loki, so this book was very interesting and I learnt loads about them, the creation of the World, and the other Gods and Goddesses, giants and monsters. Sadly, there are not that many tales, as many of them have been lost, so this is quite a quick read.

Interesting as these tales are, I found that they did not really speak to me the way the Greek myths did. I think this may have something to do with the fact that so many of the characters in Greek mythology have lent their names to a multitude of words in the English language. It may of course, also have something to do with the fact that many of the Norse gods/goddesses are not as personable as the Greek ones.

I do recommend this book though, if you are interested in learning something more about Norse mythology than that portrayed in the Thor films.

No comments:

Post a Comment