Search This Blog

Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Darkness by Ragnar Jonasson



Read January 2019.

This is a Scandi-noir thriller, set in Iceland.
It follows the story of Detective Inspector Hulda Hermannsdottir, of the Reykjavik Police, who is about to take on her final case before she is forced into early retirement.
Can she solve the cold case about a missing Russian asylum seeker before time runs out?

I am partial to a bit of Scandi noir, with all the cold, dark brooding reflected in the weather and scenery.
This is fast paced and keeps you busy all the way to the shocking and unexpected conclusion, which definitely side-swiped me and I am not sure how I feel about it!

I do feel that it suffers a little for being a translation from the original Icelandic, which is inevitable, but don't let this put you off, as it really does keep you guessing all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment