Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2019

No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy



Read January 2018.

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy is one of my all time favourite reads. It is such a powerful book, set in a very bleak future, but you get so tied up in the fate of the two characters that you just have to keep reading until they are safe. I read this book in one sitting, while on holiday in Corfu one year. I have yet to find another of McCarthy's books that speaks to me like The Road did.

No Country For Old Men is a very masculine book and much more like All The Pretty Horses in nature, although set in a modern era. It follows the story of Llewellyn Moss, who comes across a substantial amount of heroin and two million dollars in the desert, surrounded by a whole load of dead drug dealers. Of course, Llewellyn decides to abscond with his treasure, only to be persued by some very nasty characters.

This is not a cheerful story, which you may know if you have seen the film with Javier Bardem, but I actually quite liked it. The Sherriff is my favourite character.

No comments:

Post a Comment